Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fear Them Crooked Vultures...and the flying Squirrel, always the squirrel...


Well it has been a few days since I have written, so let's see if I can heat up this key board...I am not an overly complex individual (but I'm also not as simple as some of you may think I am :). Generally I don't have a lot on my mind...I think about my woman, work, sports, cars, moves, ect but lately I have had one thing on my mind a lot. Music!

If you are going to love music, then love it hard...like Andrew WK says...PARTY HARD!

I am a true lover of music, almost all kinds of music actually, I love rock, alternative, rap and many others. I hate country music, but I can see why you might like it if you were a bit slow...joking...I think...so I am going to tell you about some of my favorites, a new band that I am uncontrollably excited about and my top ten favorite concerts.

Them Crooked Vultures!!!...the name may make you think about some weird late night show on discovery HD (one where vultures have eaten some rancid wildabeast and started flying around the sahara like a drunken moron on Front street on a Saturday night), but in fact they are the most recent 'Super Group' in rock music. There have been a lot of these so called super groups...Audioslave, Velvelt Revolver, ect. They were good, but this band may just prove to be the measuring stick for future 'Super' attempts...

Them Crooked Vultures--a/k/a Dave Grohl (drums, backing vocals)(Nirvana (sound familiar), Foo Fighters, Probot), Josh Homme (guitar, vocals)(Queens of the Stone Age) and John Paul Jones (bass, keyboards, backing vocals)(Led Zepplin, maybe you heard of them)...sounds like a winning rock n roll formula to me...

Here are some things that have been said about them..."To date, Them Crooked Vultures has played one show on U.S. soil. Of that show, the Chicago Sun-Times hailed the band as "one of the rarest things in rock: a supergroup that not only deserves that appellation, but which actually is greater than the sum of its storied parts," while the Chicago Tribune opined "The term 'supergroup' gets thrown around way too often in rock, but in the case of Them Crooked Vultures, it applies." The band recently wrapped a string of surprise appearances across Europe and the UK, of which the Times of London remarked "the sound climbed to super-threatening levels and the music new heights of heaviosity... this was a monster on the loose" and the Sun added "there were moments of gentleness too - including some mesmerising piano work from Jones."

Learn more about them online...check out some clips of them. I will let you know how the Oct 9th show here in Toronto is. So far they sound pretty GD entertaining...

Here are my favs in no particular order, add in ones you think I may have unfairly left out..

My fav 5 rap:
1. 2 Pac
2. Ice Cube
3. DRE
4. NWA
5. Snoop Dogg

My Fav 5 Rock:
1. Nirvana
2. Foo Fighters
3. Pearl Jam
4. Chris Cornell (also Soundgarden and Audioslave)
5. Tool

My Fav 5 Classic Rock:
1. Jimmi Hendrix
2. Led Zepplin
3. The Doors
4. The Beatles
5. The Eagles

My Fav 10 Live Concerts I have Attended (no particular order):
1. Foo Foghters (ACC)
2. Pearl Jam (ACC)
3. Chris Cornell (amazing show in a small venue) (The Kool Haus)
4. Bruce Springsteen (Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY)
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers (ACC)
6. Tool (Molson Ampitheatre)
7. Foo Fighters Accoustic (Opening for Bob Dylan)(ACC)
8. AC/DC (Rogers Centre)
9. The Rolling Stones (Magnetic Hill, Moncton)
10. Rob Zombie (Opening for Ozzy, but was better than Ozzy) (ACC)

Hon Mentions: Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Sausagefest (USS, Thornly, ect.), Treble Charger...Killers on Sunday coming and Them Crooked Vultures may soon make the cut!!

Random Thought #11: He without sin may cast the first stone...can this be interpreted on a daily basis? Like when I go outside in the morning and I have not yet done anything wrong that day, could I throw a stone at someone?...just a though...

JLS (aka the Czar of couch sitting)

2 comments:

  1. I don't even know what you are talking about...this must have been Shawn...

    ReplyDelete